From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: Release Cycle / Structure
Date Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:59:47 GMT
The best page for how releases work in incubation is this:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

But, its quite unfinished.

Here is the general flow while in Incubation
1) Vote on releases on heraldry-dev[1]
2) If vote passes, raise vote on general@incubator

Now, once Heraldry is out of Incubation, you remove step #2.

Expanding Step #1, from the general flow of how HTTPD Does it:
a) 3-7 Days before a "Release Manager" wants to do a release, send a
courtesy message to heraldry-dev, telling other developers the intention
to do a release. (And there is possible dissent here, enough to stop the
process)

b) Release Manager Tags the release in Subversion.  svn copy
.../branches/1.2.x ../tags/1.2.3

c) Build release artifacts and cryptographically sign from the 1.2.3 tag.

d) Upload release artifacts to apache.org servers.

e) E-Mail heraldry-dev, with a [VOTE] subject line, voting to release
1.2.3 with these release artifacts from tags/1.2.3. Insert URLs to
download, and include crypto info in the email.

f) Close the vote after 3-7 days. Don't wait for specific people if they
are on vacation, but if you tag on a Friday, try to give people until at
least Tuesday or Wednesday to get around to testing the release.

g) If the vote passed, upload release artifacts to apache.org servers to
be mirrored. If the vote failed, go back to part (a).

h) 24 hours after uploading to be mirrored, update the website with
links to the downloads, and send out a release announcement email to
announce@apache.org, and potentially other lists.

Last Point: Who can be a release manager? Any active committer, at least
in httpd land.  Some of the other ASF projects do 'assign' someone to be
it for a branch (eg, 1.2.xx), but I personally find this distasteful.

-Paul