From "Drummond Reed" <drummond.r...@cordance.net>
Subject RE: thought on OpenID Authentication 2.0 - Draft 08
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 19:31:35 GMT
+1 to Andy's suggestion. For those new to XRDS documents (the XML format
used by Yadis service discovery), the design includes explicit support for
identifier synonyms in the form of the LocalID, CanonicalID, and Ref
elements. Of these, CanonicalID is specifically for solving the problems of:
a) identifier persistence, and b) many-to-one synonym mapping.

The CanonicalID element provides a simple, standardized mechanism for
mapping the identifier used to retreive the XRDS document -- whether an XRI
or an URL -- to the identifier intended by the issuing authority to be used
as the persistent key for referencing the identified resource. Note that the
CanonicalID value is not required to be a persistent XRI (i-number) -- it
can be any XRI or IRI or URI or URL -- but it is strongly recommended that
it be a persistent and not a reassignable identifier.

Kevin Turner of JanRain has pointed out, in an extensive thread over the
past few days with myself and several of the XRI Resolution spec editors,
that to prevent spoofing of a CanonicalID, there are simple CanonicalID
trust verification rules (separate from XRDS trusted resolution rules) that
relying parties should follow when processing XRDS documents. We intend to
add these rules to Working Draft 11 (the current spec is Working Draft 10,
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/17293).

Net net: having uniform support for synonym-to-CanonicalID mapping
throughout the OpenID platform is, IMHO, a very good thing, and something
important to get right now, early in the game, because future "higher stack"
applications like reputation systems that need persistent identification can
build on this solid foundation. Also, this is a key feature that Boeing and
other Network Application Consortium (NAC) members who are part of the Core
Identifier Workgroup (which also includes Open Group and DMTF) want from
XRIs and XRI resolution (it's something they can't get from DNS-based naming
today), and would have a lot to do with their adopting OpenID.

=Drummond (http://xri.net/=drummond.reed)