From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Fate of the hcatalog-dev list
Date Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:03:55 GMT
Any other thoughts?  So far only Vandana and I have weighed in.  If I don't hear any objections
soon I'll declare that silence implies consent and file a ticket to drop these lists.

Alan.

On Jul 16, 2013, at 5:07 PM, Vandana Ayyalasomayajula wrote:

> Hi Alan ,
>
> Even I would suggest option 3. But first we need to update this page:
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/hcatalog/mailing_lists.html#Users

Also we should have a link to old
> e-mail archives for users to search for any old mail threads.
>
> Thanks
> Vandana
>
> On Jul 16, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Alan Gates wrote:
>
>> Now that HCatalog is part of Hive we need to be using Hive's dev and user lists (dev@hive.apache.org,
user@hive.apache.org) rather than hcat-user and hcat-dev.  The question is how to wind down
these list.  As I see it we have three options:

>> 1) Merge each list into the Hive equivalent (eg hcat-dev -> dev@hive), moving
all subscribers onto the appropriate Hive list.  The problem with this is that, prior to merging,
hcat lists got ten or less messages a day.  Hive's lists generate 100+ messages a day.  Being
involuntarily subscribed to a mailing list that generates that volume of mail is not user
friendly.

>> 2) Forward each list to the Hive equivalent, but don't move the subscribers.  This
has the weird effect that people will be sending messages to a list they may not be subscribed
to and thus may not see the replies to their messages without them realizing it.

>> 3) Shut down this list with no forwarding after announcing every way we can think
of that this list is replaced by dev@hive.  This way when people send an email it will bounce
and they'll know they need to try somewhere else.

>> I vote for 3 because it avoids spamming people with massive extra mail and avoids
people sending mail into what for them is a black hole.  But I'm open to arguments that that's
the wrong approach.