From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Support custom file formats
Date Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:45:51 GMT
You can certainly write your own InputFormat.  SerDes control how data is (de)serialized, InputFormat/OutputFormat
how it's stored in HDFS, so the two are independent.  It's not either or.  Depending on your
data you will need one or both.

Alan.

On Jul 16, 2013, at 2:45 AM, Subroto Sanyal wrote:

> Thanks Alan,
>
> Just an another thought.
> How about using a different InputFormat like: STORED as INPUTFORMAT com.myproject.MyOwnInputFormat
?
> Which is the best approach and why?
>
> Downline I would like to read the table from PIG as well.
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> All you need to do is write a Hive SerDe.  There is some documentation at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/DeveloperGuide.
 Also you can use existing SerDes in Hive as an example.

> Alan.
>
> On Jul 5, 2013, at 8:06 AM, Subroto Sanyal wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Newbie question...
> > I have my own file format. The files are saved on HDFS. I would like HCatalog to
facilitate to read those files by Hive.