From Jay Vyas <jayunit...@gmail.com>
Subject HCatalog Tests, Forrest, Hive, and SemanticException
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 00:48:40 GMT
Hi : Im trying to run HCatalog tests.  I have some preliminary questions:

1) Why Is forest needed for the build?  It appears that "ant package" is
sufficient to build an HCatalog deployable.

2) I've noticed that I get alot of SemanticException failures.  Maybe this
is related to the fact that I did not build with forest, or else, maybe it
is due to incorrect HIVE configuration.  Any thoughts on this?

3) (possible hive setup error?)

Finally, Im noticing that my HCat test operations fail due to hive
failures, which result in the SemanticException.   However, the thrown
"SemanticException" error seems to configuration related, because by
printing the offending tokens out, it seems that the tokens are not being
matched in the following case statement.

Is there some connection with the behaviour of this class
(HCatSemanticAnalyzer) and the hive runtime configurations?  If so that
could explain why valid tokens are flagged as SemanticException.

        case HiveParser.TOK_ALTERTABLE_
TOUCH:
        case HiveParser.TOK_DESCTABLE:
        case HiveParser.TOK_DROPTABLE:
        case HiveParser.TOK_SHOW_TABLESTATUS:
        case HiveParser.TOK_SHOWPARTITIONS:
        case HiveParser.TOK_SHOWTABLES:
            return ast;

        // In all other cases, throw an exception. Its a white-list of
allowed operations.
        default:
            throw new SemanticException("Operation not supported.");

        }

--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com