From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: HCatalog Tests, Forrest, Hive, and SemanticException
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 09:19:15 GMT
Are you building off of trunk?

Forrest should not be required for building off of trunk, as that dependency was removed a
while ago.  You only need forrest if you wish to generate the website docs.

The SemanticException failures are due to an error in the way Hive and HCatalog build together.
 The way Hive's parser is built, each time it builds some of the token values change.  This
means if you don't build the HCatalog and Hive packages in sync, Hive will have a different
set of token values than HCatalog, and thus HCatalog's jars will produce commands that cause
Hive to throw a SemanticException.  If you take the build.xml from the Hive 0.11 branch and
use that to build from, and then install the resulting tar ball with both HCatalog and Hive,
this issue should go away.  We are working on fixing this (sorry, don't have the JIRA at the
moment as I'm not online).

Alan.

On Jun 6, 2013, at 1:48 AM, Jay Vyas wrote:

> Hi : Im trying to run HCatalog tests.  I have some preliminary questions:
>
> 1) Why Is forest needed for the build?  It appears that "ant package" is sufficient to
build an HCatalog deployable.

> 2) I've noticed that I get alot of SemanticException failures.  Maybe this is related
to the fact that I did not build with forest, or else, maybe it is due to incorrect HIVE configuration.
 Any thoughts on this?

> 3) (possible hive setup error?)
>
> Finally, Im noticing that my HCat test operations fail due to hive failures, which result
in the SemanticException.   However, the thrown "SemanticException" error seems to configuration
related, because by printing the offending tokens out, it seems that the tokens are not being
matched in the following case statement.

> Is there some connection with the behaviour of this class (HCatSemanticAnalyzer) and
the hive runtime configurations?  If so that could explain why valid tokens are flagged as
SemanticException.