From Travis Crawford <traviscrawf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HCatalog 0.5.0-incubating (candidate 0)
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 01:19:37 GMT
Hey Alan -

Thanks for the bug report.

This release candiate has the following error in build.properties:
-_vtype=-SNAPSHOT
+_vtype=-incubating
hcatalog.version=${_version}${_vtype}

Tests pass before posting the release candidate because we pass in
hcatalog.version when building, instead of updating build.properties
directly. This is an error and I'll fix momentarily.

The other people may experience when building with an empty local
maven cache is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HCATALOG-601. The
proposed fix is in the jira, but its not clear if we want to change
that dependency so late in the game.

--travis

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> When I remove my maven cache and then do "ant jar" on this src bundle I get:
>
> compile:
>      [echo] hcatalog-pig-adapter
>     [mkdir] Created dir: /Users/gates/tmp/hcat-050-release/hcatalog-src-0.5.0-incubating/hcatalog-pig-adapter/build/classes
>     [javac] Compiling 5 source files to /Users/gates/tmp/hcat-050-release/hcatalog-src-0.5.0-incubating/hcatalog-pig-adapter/build/classes
>     [javac] /Users/gates/tmp/hcat-050-release/hcatalog-src-0.5.0-incubating/hcatalog-pig-adapter/src/main/java/org/apache/hcatalog/pig/HCatBaseStorer.java:30:
package com.google.common.collect does not exist
>     [javac] import com.google.common.collect.Lists;
>     [javac]                                 ^
>     [javac] /Users/gates/tmp/hcat-050-release/hcatalog-src-0.5.0-incubating/hcatalog-pig-adapter/src/main/java/org/apache/hcatalog/pig/HCatBaseStorer.java:65:
cannot find symbol
>     [javac] symbol  : variable Lists
>     [javac] location: class org.apache.hcatalog.pig.HCatBaseStorer
>     [javac]         Lists.newArrayList(Type.TINYINT, Type.SMALLINT, Type.INT);
>     [javac]         ^
>     [javac] /Users/gates/tmp/hcat-050-release/hcatalog-src-0.5.0-incubating/hcatalog-pig-adapter/src/main/java/org/apache/hcatalog/pig/HCatLoader.java:86:
cannot access com.google.common.base.Optional
>     [javac] class file for com.google.common.base.Optional not found
>     [javac]         HCatContext.INSTANCE.setConf(job.getConfiguration()).getConf().get()
>     [javac]                                                                     ^
>     [javac] Note: /Users/gates/tmp/hcat-050-release/hcatalog-src-0.5.0-incubating/hcatalog-pig-adapter/src/main/java/org/apache/hcatalog/pig/HCatStorer.java
uses or overrides a deprecated API.
>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
>     [javac] Note: /Users/gates/tmp/hcat-050-release/hcatalog-src-0.5.0-incubating/hcatalog-pig-adapter/src/main/java/org/apache/hcatalog/pig/HCatBaseStorer.java
uses unchecked or unsafe operations.
>     [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
>     [javac] 3 errors
>
> Looks like we're missing a maven dependency somewhere.
>
> Alan.
>
> On Jan 22, 2013, at 4:18 PM, Travis Crawford wrote:
>
>> Hey hcatalog gurus -
>>
>> The source release candidate has been posted to:
>>
>>    http://people.apache.org/~travis/hcatalog-0.5.0-incubating-candidate-0/
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Travis
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Travis Crawford
>> <traviscrawford@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That's what I thought - will update the docs about publishing src
>>> artifacts & post source release.
>>>
>>> --travis

the convenience artifact with the jars in it.  Could you run ant src-release and post the
resulting tarball, along with a signature and md5sum?  Thanks.