From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HCatalog 0.5.0-incubating (candidate 1)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:47:22 GMT
If it's not too much trouble the rat excludes file sounds good so that every time we release
we don't have to remember that these files are ok without a header.

Alan.

On Jan 24, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Travis Crawford wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> On Jan 24, 2013, at 8:56 AM, Travis Crawford wrote:
>
> > Before simply excluding these files, this is a great opportunity to understand what
these files are and potentially fix.

> > (a) The .rej file was simply an error and I will remove. I believe it was produced
when applying HCATALOG-605, which has different version numbers in trunk/release branches.

> > (b) rcfiles - should these be checked in at all? These seem like files that should
be generated when running tests, not checked into the source tree. Can someone with more familiarity
with the e2e test data clue us into if generating makes sense?

> I agree these should be generated rather than checked in.  Someone just needs to write
the code to generate rcfiles during the deploy phase.  We should file a JIRA on this.  But
I don't think we should delay the release over it.

> Agreed - I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HCATALOG-607 to fix in the future
but not block the release over.

> Do we add a rat excludes file, or let these be listed in the report? I'll update the
release docs for next time too.

> > (c) text data files - we could add the header to these files, and update whatever
reads them to ignore comment lines.

> There's no need to put headers in these.  Data files are a well recognized exception
in license headers.

> Same question as above - for files that do not need a header, do we let them be listed
in the report or explicitly exclude them?

> > (d) storage handler test includes/excludes - these are still around because storagehendlers
has not been migrated to the new build templates. Unless there are objections I'd like to
remove these files entirely. If we want to ignore a test in the future it would need to have
an @Ignore annotation.