From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release HCatalog 0.5.0-incubating (candidate 1)
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:38:13 GMT

On Jan 24, 2013, at 8:56 AM, Travis Crawford wrote:

> Before simply excluding these files, this is a great opportunity to understand what these
files are and potentially fix.

> (a) The .rej file was simply an error and I will remove. I believe it was produced when
applying HCATALOG-605, which has different version numbers in trunk/release branches.

> (b) rcfiles - should these be checked in at all? These seem like files that should be
generated when running tests, not checked into the source tree. Can someone with more familiarity
with the e2e test data clue us into if generating makes sense?

I agree these should be generated rather than checked in.  Someone just needs to write the
code to generate rcfiles during the deploy phase.  We should file a JIRA on this.  But I don't
think we should delay the release over it.

> (c) text data files - we could add the header to these files, and update whatever reads
them to ignore comment lines.

There's no need to put headers in these.  Data files are a well recognized exception in license
headers.

> (d) storage handler test includes/excludes - these are still around because storagehendlers
has not been migrated to the new build templates. Unless there are objections I'd like to
remove these files entirely. If we want to ignore a test in the future it would need to have
an @Ignore annotation.

+1, since excluded-tests is empty.