From Travis Crawford <traviscrawf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HCatalog and Hive
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:48:55 GMT
Hey Juan -

There's actually an ongoing discussion about this. From my perspective it
would make a lot of sense to extract the metastore/serde parts of hive as
reusable components for use by all processing frameworks. Of course the
Hive folks would need to agree with te vision of a common metadata and
read/write path for Hadoop in general to do this.

If you have hive setup, even before this discussion plays out, you can
read/write your hive data with pig today. The giraph folks also have an
hcatalog adapter.

I don't have a crystal ball to know how the hive/hcatalog stuff plays out,
but from a user perspective it shouldn't matter much. Just use the hcatalog
adapters and we'll take care of the rest!

--Travis