From Travis Crawford <>
Subject Re: Support for non-secure Hadoop?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 23:16:07 GMT
Guessing you're primarily interested in hcatalog-core.jar; a quick
look at the security imports shows the following classes.

$ find ~/src/hcatalog/src/java -name '*.java' -exec grep -l 'import' {} \;

My guess is there's not much general interest, but if the changes are
not burdensome to maintain you could look at adding a shims layer for
your Hadoop version, and associated refactor. Are y'all ever getting
back on the Apache releases of Hadoop? Seems like this is going to be
increasingly problematic.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Nitay Joffe <> wrote:
> Hey guys,
> Is there any plans to support non-secure Hadoop (e.g. Facebook's branch of Hadoop based
on 0.20). Specifically I am talking about hadoop that contain little to no classes at all
under, for example no Credentials class at all.
> We need this in order to use HCatalog at Facebook. Months ago we hacked it by ripping
out any mention of security from the code by hand and using a version based off of that, but
that makes it hard to update to latest trunk. I would think this would be a necessity in order
to support Hive since it doesn't have any security stuff also?
> Thanks,
> - Nitay

View raw message