From Travis Crawford <traviscrawf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HCatalog Thrift Error
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:31:57 GMT
Hey thrift & hcat gurus -

We've also noticed this OOM issue when processing corrupt thrift
messages. We're attempting to work around this issue as follows (see
https://github.com/kevinweil/elephant-bird/pull/239/files#L5R45):

@Override
public void deserialize(TBase base, byte[] bytes) throws TException {
    // set upper bound on bytes available so that protocol does not try
    // to allocate and read large amounts of data in case of corrupt input
    protocol.setReadLength(bytes.length);
    super.deserialize(base, bytes);
}

Would it make sense to setReadLength directly in TDeserializer.deserialize?

https://github.com/apache/thrift/blob/trunk/lib/java/src/org/apache/thrift/TDeserializer.java#L60

--travis

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Joshi, Rekha <Rekha_Joshi@intuit.com> wrote:
> Thanks for confirming Agateaa.
>
> Since the Hcat server behaves normally , and you observed the issue in your log just
once, it does drop in a concern for me at the moment.
> Also not sure if it is CMS related/environment related behavior.At some point of time
I might try to replicate your system, and update you if I face this too.

> However cc-ing to thrift dev mailing list as well, as there are some known libthrift/TBinaryProtocol
issue inline with yours -
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-1643
>
> Thanks
> Rekha
>
> From: agateaaa <agateaaa@gmail.com<mailto:agateaaa@gmail.com>>
> Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 07:50:00 -0700
> To: <hcatalog-user@incubator.apache.org<mailto:hcatalog-user@incubator.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: HCatalog Thrift Error
>
> Hi Rekha
>
> Yes the hcatalog server was up and and still running. I can query tables via pig scripts
and also run hive queries. As a matter of fact its still
> running.
>
> Before I applied a patch for THRIFT-1468 I had seen my server crash frequently under
similar circumstances (OutOfMemory). Since the patch
> havent seen any crashes (just that error once)
>
> I did take java heap dump just after I saw the error and did not see any increase in
the heap size. I read in GC tuning docs that if
> full gc is taking longer (taking 98% of time), JVM may throw that OutOfMemory error -
but I am not really sure (I am using CMS so I am not sure if that
> applies)
>
> I can check if I get same error as THRIFT-1205
>
> Isnt HIVE-2715 same as fixing THRIFT-1468 (atleast for in terms of its  resolution)?
>
> Thanks
>

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:33 AM, Joshi, Rekha <Rekha_Joshi@intuit.com<mailto:Rekha_Joshi@intuit.com>>
wrote:
> Hi Agateaa,
>
> Impressive bug description.
>
> Can you confirm HCat server was up (inspite of thread dump/GC) and for all practical
purposes commands were getting executed in a normal fashion for fairly good time after the
GC issues were noticed on log?
> Unless there is a self-healing effect built-in :-) /timeout after which the error is
automatically invalid/system is reset/space is reclaimed, there must be a way it would have
directly impact the system, and not just known because one checks the log.

> I do not have the same patched environment as yours, but would you care to unpatch Thrift-1468
and then check if your system bug behavior is in sync with -
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-1205
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-1468
>
> Or especially since you did not enter arbitrary data, can you confirm you get usual if
you do enter provide arbitrary data?

> Thanks
> Rekha
>
> From: agateaaa <agateaaa@gmail.com<mailto:agateaaa@gmail.com>>
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:38:01 -0700
> To: <hcatalog-user@incubator.apache.org<mailto:hcatalog-user@incubator.apache.org>>
> Subject: Re: HCatalog Thrift Error
>
> Correction:
>
> I have a fairly small server (VM) 1GB RAM and 1 CPU  and using HCatalog Version 0.4,
Hive 0.9 (patched for HIVE-3008) with Thrift 0.7 (patched for THRIFT-1468)

> [...]
>     at org.apache.thrift.server.TThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(TThreadPoolServer.java:176)
>     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
>     at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
>

> I noticed that the hcatalog server had not shutdown, don't see any other abnormality
in the logs

> Searching led me to these two thrift issues
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-601
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-1205
>
> Only difference is that in my case HCatalog server did not crash and I wasn't trying
to send
> any arbritary data to the thrift server at the telnet port
>
> I have a fairly small server (VM) 1GB RAM and 1 CPU  and using HCatalog Version 0.4,
Hive 0.9 (patched HIVE-3008) with Thrift 0.7 (patched for THRIFT-1438)