Hi Alan,

I am using 0.4.0.

I am consulting this http://incubator.apache.org/hcatalog/docs/r0.4.0/install.html for my hcatalog installation.

I am very confused with this sentence: You will also need your hadoop_home, the directory where you have Hadoop installed, and the port number you wish HCatalog to operate on which you will use to set portnum.

share/hcatalog/scripts/hcat_server_install.sh -r root -d dbroot -h hadoop_home -p portnum

hive.metastore.uris thrift://hostname:portnum where hostname is the name of the machine hosting the Thrift server, and portnum is the port number used above in the installation script.

What is the different between this portnum mentioned in the install.hml and the Hive metastore server port and what I should put in hive-site.xml for
hive.metastore.uris thrift://127.0.0.1:10000
or
hive.metastore.uris thrift://127.0.0.1:9083

in my case the Hive metastore server listens on 9083 and the Hive thrift server listen on 10000.

Because the installation script create hcat-env.sh so
>> cat hcatalog/hcat-env.sh
>> ROOT=/usr/local/hive
>> DBROOT=/usr/lib/hive/lib/
>> USER=hive
>> HADOOP_HOME=/usr/lib/hadoop-0.20
>> export METASTORE_PORT=9083              <---- portnum.

So the metatstore_port and the hcatalog server port are the same or different?

Thanks in advance,
Steven.