From Steven Truong <midai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Could not set up Hcatalog.
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:08:16 GMT
Hi Alan,

I am using 0.4.0.

I am consulting this
http://incubator.apache.org/hcatalog/docs/r0.4.0/install.html for my
hcatalog installation.

I am very confused with this sentence: You will also need your hadoop_home,
the directory where you have Hadoop installed, and *the port number you
wish HCatalog to operate on which you will use to set portnum.**
*
*
*
share/hcatalog/scripts/hcat_server_install.sh -r root -d dbroot -h
hadoop_home -p portnum

*hive.metastore.uris thrift://hostname:portnum where hostname is the name
of the machine hosting the Thrift server, and portnum is the port number
used above in the installation script.*

What is the different between this portnum mentioned in the install.hml and
the Hive metastore server port and what I should put in hive-site.xml for
hive.metastore.uris thrift://127.0.0.1:10000
or
hive.metastore.uris thrift://127.0.0.1:9083

in my case the Hive metastore server listens on 9083 and the Hive thrift
server listen on 10000.

Because the installation script create hcat-env.sh so
>> cat hcatalog/hcat-env.sh
>> ROOT=/usr/local/hive
>> DBROOT=/usr/lib/hive/lib/
>> USER=hive
>> HADOOP_HOME=/usr/lib/hadoop-0.20
>> export METASTORE_PORT=9083              <---- portnum.

So the metatstore_port and the hcatalog server port are the same or
different?

Thanks in advance,
Steven.
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Which version of HCatalog are you using?  Assuming you're using 0.4.0
(the latest release), once you've started Hive's metastore service there's
nothing more to start for HCatalog.  You Pig or MR jobs will need to have
the directory that contains hive-site.xml in their path so they can find
the config file.

> Alan.
>
> On Jun 7, 2012, at 6:05 PM, Steven Truong wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am new to Hive and Hcatalog and in the process of setting one up.
>> Currently Hive, mysql, Hcatalog are all in the same machine.  Hadoop
>> cluster is somewhere else in other machines. mysql connector is in
>> /usr/lib/hive/lib.  Hive was installed in /usr/lib/hive.
>>
>> I created hive user and /usr/local/hive and install hcatalog in
/usr/local/hive

>> I started the metatstore server as:
>> ./hive --config ../conf --service metastore
>> and saw this  "metastore.HiveMetaStore: Started the new metaserver on
>> port [9083]..."
>>
>> I also started the Hive Thrift server and saw this: " Starting hive
>> server on port 10000"
>>
>> cat hcatalog/hcat-env.sh
>> ROOT=/usr/local/hive
>> DBROOT=/usr/lib/hive/lib/
>> USER=hive
>> HADOOP_HOME=/usr/lib/hadoop-0.20
>> export METASTORE_PORT=9083
>>
>> Here are some parameters in hive-site.xml
>> hive.metastore.local true
>> hive.metastore.uris thrift://127.0.0.1:10000
>>
>> I started hcatalog but it did not work at all:
>>
>> HIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/hive/ sbin/hcat_server.sh start
>> Started metastore server init, testing if initialized correctly...
>> Metastore startup failed, see /usr/local/hive/sbin/../var/log/hcat.err
>>
>> cat var/log/hcat.err
>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
>>       at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.main(HiveMetaStore.java:759)