From Steven Truong <midai...@gmail.com>
Subject Could not set up Hcatalog.
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 01:05:51 GMT
Dear all,

I am new to Hive and Hcatalog and in the process of setting one up.
Currently Hive, mysql, Hcatalog are all in the same machine.  Hadoop
cluster is somewhere else in other machines. mysql connector is in
/usr/lib/hive/lib.  Hive was installed in /usr/lib/hive.

I created hive user and /usr/local/hive and install hcatalog in /usr/local/hive

I started the metatstore server as:
./hive --config ../conf --service metastore
and saw this  "metastore.HiveMetaStore: Started the new metaserver on
port [9083]..."

I also started the Hive Thrift server and saw this: " Starting hive
server on port 10000"

cat hcatalog/hcat-env.sh
ROOT=/usr/local/hive
DBROOT=/usr/lib/hive/lib/
USER=hive
HADOOP_HOME=/usr/lib/hadoop-0.20
export METASTORE_PORT=9083

Here are some parameters in hive-site.xml
hive.metastore.local true
hive.metastore.uris thrift://127.0.0.1:10000

I started hcatalog but it did not work at all:

 HIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/hive/ sbin/hcat_server.sh start
Started metastore server init, testing if initialized correctly...
Metastore startup failed, see /usr/local/hive/sbin/../var/log/hcat.err

 cat var/log/hcat.err
	at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStore.main(HiveMetaStore.java:759)

It seems like Hcatalog could not connect to the metastore.

Could you please tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks,
Steven.