From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Reg tables to be used with HCatStorer
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:30:03 GMT
You should be able to store to an unpartitioned table by passing no arguments to HCatStorer
(despite what the docs say).

Alan.

On Mar 28, 2012, at 5:26 PM, Prasad B wrote:

> The documentation on HCatStorer says:
>
> "For the USING clause, you can have two string arguments:
>
> The first string argument represents key/value pairs for partition. This is a *mandatory*
argument. In the above example, month, date and hour are columns on which table is partitioned.
The values for partition keys should NOT be quoted, even if the partition key is defined to
be of string type."

> Since the first argument is mandatory, it implies that tables into which data is stored
using HCatStorer have to be created with at least one partition. For eg., as

> CREATE TABLE table_name (line STRING);
>
> ALTER TABLE table_name ADD PARTITION (col="xxx")
>
> Is my understanding correct ? My script tried to store to an unpartitioned table, by
specifying ' ' for the first argument, and the HCatBaseStorer complains about the type.