From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Switching from storage drivers to serdes
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 00:35:50 GMT
In HCatalog, translation between the key, value pairs used by MapReduce and HCatRecord is done
by StorageDriver classes.  We are proposing to change this to use Hive's SerDe class to do
this instead, dropping StorageDrivers.  Reasons for this change, as well as design notes on
how to do it and tasks it breaks down into are at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HCATALOG-237

This is a significant change.  As currently proposed, it is not backward compatible.  We are
doing this work on trunk, and plan to release it in HCatalog 0.4.

Alan.