From Ashutosh Chauhan <hashut...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HCatOutputFormat schema issues
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2011 00:37:42 GMT
Hey Charles,

Yeah, you need to call setOutputSchema() on HCatOutputFormat explicitly.
Though we could assume defaults we don't because of the following reason.
While writing rows they may either contain partition columns or they may
not. HCatOutputFormat will transparently weed out partition columns if they
are present in the row. If we assume defaults then we have to assume that
data does not contain partition columns (we dont store partition columns in
data) which is a dangerous assumption to make which will screw things up
when we read back. So, instead we ask user to set the schema. You are also
correct order of columns should be same as the one you have declared while
creating tables.

Hope it helps,
Ashutosh

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 14:54, Charles Menguy <cmenguy@proclivitysystems.com