From Ranjit Mathew <ran...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Permissions and Ownership for Table Data
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 04:16:19 GMT
On 07/29/2011 05:48 AM, Ashutosh Chauhan wrote:
> Sorry for bit late on this. When you add new partitions permissions
> and groups do get inherited from table, if you are adding your data
> through HCatLoader (via pig) or through HCatOutputFormat (via your
> map-reduce program). If you are adding data through other mechanism
> and then doing "add partition" on CLI, in that case those won't get
> inherited.

Thanks for clarifying this Ashutosh. We *are* loading our data via
HCatOutputFormat.

So there's no meta-data that stores the permissions/group for tables.
All we need to do then is to make sure that the warehouse directory in
HDFS for the table has the right permissions and group ownership and
that we continue to load data via HCatOutputFormat.

Right?

> AFAIK, you can't set groups/perms through Hive CLI.

Sort of - you can use the "dfs" command to do it (that's how we're
doing it right now).

Thanks,
Ranjit