From Ranjit Mathew <ran...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Permissions and Ownership for Table Data
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:33:52 GMT
Hi,

   We are trying to make sure that for a table "snafu", data
is owned by group "foo" for a user "bar" and has permissions "750".

The HCatalog CLI program seems to provide "-p" and "-g" options
just for this purpose. However, this only seems to set the
permissions and group-ownership for the location in HDFS containing
the table-data (say "/wombat/snafu") at the time of table-creation.

What we are looking for is that as the data is populated into the
table, it continues to be owned by "bar" belonging to "foo" and
has the permissions "750". How can we ensure this?

FWIW, we're using HCatOutputFormat to directly write data into
this table. We're using HCatalog 0.1 with Hadoop 0.20.204.

If the table has already been created using Hive CLI (not HCatalog CLI),
is there a way to set its group/permissions attributes? (We don't
want to drop and recreate the table as it has a lot of data and continues
to be populated.)

Thanks in advance for your help,
Ranjit