From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HCatalog feature wish list
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 20:35:57 GMT
Thanks for the great responses. Glad to know these things are already being
worked on.

 Devaraj: HCatalog will soon have a tool that can import data schema to the
> metadata store. At Yahoo!, the plan is to use this tool to migrate all old
> data. All new data should be directly registered in HCatalog by the data
> producers. Would this suffice?

A one-time load would suffice, provided there was a solution to the custom
column properties functionality, since our column schemas contain some
custom fields.

We'd also need to have a way to access this HCatalog data from Python Hadoop
streaming jobs. I see Hadoop streaming support is not yet available, but is
planned. Any idea how high on the roadmap streaming support falls? Just
trying to get a sense for how far out this functionality it.