incubator-hcatalog-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Travis Crawford <traviscrawf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branching HCatalog 0.5
Date Wed, 28 Nov 2012 19:26:00 GMT
On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> We definitely cannot release HCat 0.5 before Hive 0.10.  But I don't think
> we need to wait to branch.  Why not branch now and start fixing issues and
> then update the dependencies once Hive ships?
>

Doing QA on a moving target seems challenging – I'd prefer to ask people to
spend their time testing legitimate release candidates. If we're blocked on
making a release candidate until Hive ships, there's no need for a release
branch yet. Prematurely branching means we have to track changes in the
release branch & trunk, which is work we can avoid.

I'm not totally against branching now, but it seems like additional work
for no gain.

Does anyone have more insight into Hive's release ETA?

--travis


Alan.
>
> On Nov 28, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Travis Crawford wrote:
>
> > Hey hcat gurus -
> >
> > Regarding the 0.5 release, I'd like to postpone branching until Hive
> 0.10.0
> > ships, as we cannot release with snapshot dependencies.
> >
> > Proposal:
> > * Keep working on items with a target fix of 0.5 until Hive ships
> > * Branch when hive 0.10.0 ships, and post a release candidate
> > * Punt everything not yet complete to the next release
> > * Budget ~1 week for people to test, more if issues are discovered
> > * Ship it!
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > --travis
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Travis Crawford
> > <traviscrawford@gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Status update:
> >>
> >> Thanks all for doing some jira cleanup and finalizing the list of
> >> outstanding issues for 0.5. Open issues scheduled for inclusion are
> >> available here:
> >>
> >>
> >>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+HCATALOG+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.5%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
> >>
> >> The plan is to branch next Tuesday, and hopefully release by EOW. As
> >> the schedule is tight, please be mindful of the review queue so we can
> >> get through these open issues.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Travis
> >>
> >>
> >> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Travis Crawford
> >> <traviscrawford@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> Also, if we don't already have one I'd like to volunteer as the
> >>> release manager. I've never done one before and would like to learn
> >>> the process.
> >>>
> >>> Thanks!
> >>> Travis
> >>>
> >>> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:57 AM, Travis Crawford
> >>> <traviscrawford@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>>> I'd love to start thinking about a 0.5 release, but let's hold off on
> >>>> branching until we understand a bit more about what we're releasing.
> >>>>
> >>>> As a first step, can everyone make sure the "Fix Version/s:" field
> >>>> says 0.5.0 for issues you're hoping to have included?
> >>>>
> >>>> You can view the full list of unresolved issues associated with 0.5.0
> >> here:
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+HCATALOG+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.5%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+ORDER+BY+due+ASC%2C+priority+DESC%2C+created+ASC&mode=hide
> >>>>
> >>>> Also, for committers, if you can make some time for reviewing patch
> >>>> available issues that would be much appreciated. Its discouraging for
> >>>> contributors to have their patches linger.
> >>>>
> >>>> Thanks!
> >>>> Travis
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Daniel Dai <daijy@hortonworks.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>>>> Hi, folks,
> >>>>> How about branching 0.5 for 0.5.0 release? Hive will release 0.10.0
> >>>>> soon (http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@hive.apache.org/msg24708.html
> ),
> >>>>> sounds like it is a good time to make a HCatalog release as well.
> >>>>> Thoughts?
> >>>>>
> >>>>> Thanks,
> >>>>> Daniel
> >>
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message