incubator-hcatalog-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Travis Crawford <traviscrawf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next rc for 0.4 and disentangling Hive and HCatalog
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:42:15 GMT
Will the artifacts still have SNAPSHOT in their name? If so, it may be
useful to have a unique element in their name to distinguish artifacts.

--travis


On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> No, I'm working on a patch to Hive to allow publishing changes to a local
> maven repo.  So you would be able to make your changes, then publish them
> to your maven or ivy cache, and then have HCat pick those up.
>
> Alan.
>
> On Apr 3, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Travis Crawford wrote:
>
> > What's the workflow for making a change in Hive that's needed by
> HCatalog?
> > I believe the initial motivation for using an SVN extern is hive changes
> > will be needed faster than Hive releases updates. Will the new process be
> > waiting for a new Hive release with the necessary patches?
> >
> > --travis
> >
> >
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> As you probably saw, late last week I created a tag for a rc2 for
> HCatalog
> >> 0.4.0.  However, I want to wait before rolling the release candidate.
>  Last
> >> week a furor erupted on the incubator general list as to whether release
> >> artifacts could have _any_ binary files (including jars) in them at all,
> >> with some authoritative voices arguing that they could not.  You can see
> >> the thread here
> >>
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201203.mbox/%3CCAOFYJNY%3DEjVHrWVvAedR3OKwCv-BkTaCbEu0ufp7OZR_gpCTiA%40mail.gmail.com%3Eifyou've
missed it.  The outcome of that discussion is not clear to me,
> >> but I think our next release candidate will have a better chance of
> >> approval in the IPMC if there are no jars in it.  We can remove the
> >> HCatalog jars from our release, but unfortunately the Hive code we wrap
> >> also contains jars.
> >>
> >> The good news is that we are already working towards splitting out
> >> HCatalog from Hive, both in terms of the source code and releases.  It
> >> seems to me the best course is to quickly finish that work in the next
> fews
> >> days and incorporate that in 0.4 before rolling another release
> candidate.
> >> This will realize our goal of getting HCatalog to no longer extern Hive
> >> and make our releases easier.
> >>
> >> The exact proposal is:
> >>
> >> I'm working on a patch to remove hive/extern from our source tree and
> use
> >> maven to fetch Hive instead.  I hope to post that later today.
> >>
> >> Giri is working on a patch to to remove Hive code from the HCat
> >> distribution tarball.  He should post that soon.
> >>
> >> Giri is also working on a patch to Bigtop to do rpms for HCatalog.  As
> >> part of this we'll drop the rpm target from our build.xml.  This work
> >> should also be done in the next few days.
> >>
> >> Once the first two items are done, I'll roll another release candidate.
> >> Thoughts?
> >>
> >> Alan.
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message