incubator-hcatalog-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Next rc for 0.4 and disentangling Hive and HCatalog
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2012 17:50:14 GMT
I believe the artifact name is controlled by the setting of version, so you could set it to
whatever you wanted when you built your local copy.

Alan.

On Apr 3, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Travis Crawford wrote:

> Will the artifacts still have SNAPSHOT in their name? If so, it may be
> useful to have a unique element in their name to distinguish artifacts.
> 
> --travis
> 
> 
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> 
>> No, I'm working on a patch to Hive to allow publishing changes to a local
>> maven repo.  So you would be able to make your changes, then publish them
>> to your maven or ivy cache, and then have HCat pick those up.
>> 
>> Alan.
>> 
>> On Apr 3, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Travis Crawford wrote:
>> 
>>> What's the workflow for making a change in Hive that's needed by
>> HCatalog?
>>> I believe the initial motivation for using an SVN extern is hive changes
>>> will be needed faster than Hive releases updates. Will the new process be
>>> waiting for a new Hive release with the necessary patches?
>>> 
>>> --travis
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Alan Gates <gates@hortonworks.com>
>> wrote:
>>> 
>>>> As you probably saw, late last week I created a tag for a rc2 for
>> HCatalog
>>>> 0.4.0.  However, I want to wait before rolling the release candidate.
>> Last
>>>> week a furor erupted on the incubator general list as to whether release
>>>> artifacts could have _any_ binary files (including jars) in them at all,
>>>> with some authoritative voices arguing that they could not.  You can see
>>>> the thread here
>>>> 
>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201203.mbox/%3CCAOFYJNY%3DEjVHrWVvAedR3OKwCv-BkTaCbEu0ufp7OZR_gpCTiA%40mail.gmail.com%3Eifyou've
missed it.  The outcome of that discussion is not clear to me,
>>>> but I think our next release candidate will have a better chance of
>>>> approval in the IPMC if there are no jars in it.  We can remove the
>>>> HCatalog jars from our release, but unfortunately the Hive code we wrap
>>>> also contains jars.
>>>> 
>>>> The good news is that we are already working towards splitting out
>>>> HCatalog from Hive, both in terms of the source code and releases.  It
>>>> seems to me the best course is to quickly finish that work in the next
>> fews
>>>> days and incorporate that in 0.4 before rolling another release
>> candidate.
>>>> This will realize our goal of getting HCatalog to no longer extern Hive
>>>> and make our releases easier.
>>>> 
>>>> The exact proposal is:
>>>> 
>>>> I'm working on a patch to remove hive/extern from our source tree and
>> use
>>>> maven to fetch Hive instead.  I hope to post that later today.
>>>> 
>>>> Giri is working on a patch to to remove Hive code from the HCat
>>>> distribution tarball.  He should post that soon.
>>>> 
>>>> Giri is also working on a patch to Bigtop to do rpms for HCatalog.  As
>>>> part of this we'll drop the rpm target from our build.xml.  This work
>>>> should also be done in the next few days.
>>>> 
>>>> Once the first two items are done, I'll roll another release candidate.
>>>> Thoughts?
>>>> 
>>>> Alan.
>> 
>> 


Mime
View raw message