From Thomas Jungblut <thomas.jungb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Math package
Date Sun, 15 Apr 2012 16:26:10 GMT
Since we have in our latest release a graph package, we can focus a bit
more on math.
Should we therefore add a math package?

I see several features to add:
- Implementation of cholesky decomposition [1]
- Implement the incomplete Cholesky Factorization [2]
- Sparse Matrix-Vector multiplication [3]
- A BSP matrix multiplication implementation [4]
- Random matrix generator [5]
- Matrix inversion [6]
- SVD / Singular value decomposition [7] should we reopen this?
etc.

Should we create an umbrella for them and add a math package (mvn project)?

Then what math lib should we use? (mahout-math, I have scripted one, a new
one build by us).
And yes we really need one, it makes things much simpler.

How do we deal with examples?
IMHO we should add the algorithms to the math package and add appropriate
real-world use cases of them to the example package. For the algorithm use,
we should document what input and output is to expect on a wiki page.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-94
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-553
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-524
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-221