From Thomas Jungblut <tjungb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: psvm
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2012 06:51:06 GMT
Hi Aditya,

I'm from the Apache Hama team, we are working on a BSP (Bulk Synchronous
Parallel) Engine.
BSP is quite like MPI, just with 2 primitives (barrier sync and message
send), I don't know if it is enough for your algorithm, but I would be very
interested in implementing it with BSP and Apache Hama.

I have already implemented a k-means clustering with BSP [1] which is much
more faster than the MapReduce implementation [2].
I plan to contribute it over the next few months to Mahout, since I think
BSP is a missing part of large scale machine learning (currently I just see
MapReduce implementations everywhere), you would help to give Mahout
another good example of BSP and machine learning.
And it would of course help me to convince the Mahout team of the usage of
Apache Hama ;)

If you are interested, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Best regards,
Thomas

[1]
https://github.com/thomasjungblut/thomasjungblut-common/blob/master/src/de/jungblut/clustering/KMeansBSP.java