From Apurv Verma <dapu...@gmail.com>
Subject Absolute Newbie
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2011 12:43:46 GMT
Hii all,

   1.  I am an absolute newbie to Hama and Hadoop. Should I learn hadoop
   first before I can begin contributing to this project?

   2. I don't exactly understand how hama works and what it is. All I
   understand is that it's a graph library written over a distributed
   architecture hadoop.
   Where can get to know the basics of the hama, as I have already stated
   before that do I also need to learn hadoop?

   3. On the getting started page, instructions are given with Maven and
   SVN.
   I have experience with git and not these. I found that the mirror github
   repository and have forked it and would be working through it only. Is it
   OK?

   4. To begin with I found this issue for newbies. HAMA-469.
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HAMA-469
   It says that statusUpdate() method should be called finally. So what I
   can see that there is a

   umbilical.statusUpdate(taskId, currentTaskStatus);
   I will put it in finally block. I dont understand what this piece of
   code wants to do. Basically what i have understood there is a cyclic
   barrier kind of thing so as to create a rendezvous for many threads. Some
   messages are combined and the function returns. I am still lost at
   understanding the codebase.

   5. I also found that I can apply to apache for a mentor. Here is my
   skillset [0] and I wish to become a long term contributor to projects
   centred around hadoop.
   [0] http://in.linkedin.com/in/apurv5
   I am really looking forward to becoming a full fledged contributor in a
   span of six months.

--
thanks and regards,

Apurv Verma