From Thomas Jungblut <thomas.jungb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Barrier Synchronization
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2011 14:06:44 GMT
Hey,

as you may already heard, I used a RPC sync service which I have wrote on my
own. It works, but it may not be as good as Zookeeper.
My idea:
We can make a "AbstractBSPPeer" class which has following methods:
 abstract enterBarrier();
 abstract leaveBarrier();
 abstract getAllPeerNames();

These are obviously things that belong to the our specific synchronization
daemon.
Now we could extend an ZooKeeperBSPPeer which implements the ZooKeeper way
of barrier sync and a RPC one.

Or to push it even further, take on Edwards idea of a common synchronization
service which abstracts the use of ZooKeeper or an RPC service.
My goal of the RPC service is to keep simplicity in our code and built a
overhead-less service which provides additional features, e.G. deregistering
a task from a barrier.
It would be great if we can benchmark them both to get a gist of what is the
best in terms of performance and reliability.
So I would be +1 for Edwards idea. Maybe you can clarify this a bit @Edward.
[1]
Edwards idea would help us to share common code between YARN and normal
infrastructure.

[1] my thoughts: we need some kind of factory which launches a specific sync
daemon, based on a given configuration.

It would be great if you can share your opinion :)
Thanks!