From Thomas Jungblut <thomas.jungb...@googlemail.com>
Subject Combiners
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 17:59:39 GMT
Hey all,

I just have seen Avery's talk about Giraph. (I know you are reading
sometimes here, too. Thank you very much!)
It was quite enlightening to me on what features we should talk about.
He made some points on Combiners.

I wonder if we can integrate them in our framework, and not in the graph
layer that is upcoming.
Miklos implemented the MessageBundle, which stores messages for the same
class in a map.
Which is somewhat equal to Combiners, but not user defined.
I think we should let the user define their own Combiner! But I'm still not
very sure how.
Should we let him iterate over the messages via an iterable like the Reducer
in M/R?
For example, this could save a lot of memory if a user decides to merge
messages.
On the other hand, the user could have merge his messages right before he
sended them. So it would be an unused feature.

As you can see there are some things that should be clarified, do you have
an idea / opinion on that?

--
Thomas Jungblut
Berlin <thomas.jungblut@gmail.com>