From Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Above all, I plan to make BSP more complete
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 11:28:24 GMT
Hi,

I would like to discuss the plan that I think.

First, I participated in hama in order to contribute graph package. I
plan to develop graph package (called Angrapa) for large scale graph
data running on shared-nothing architecture. Many of people think
about that Angrapa may be appropriate in BSP model, like pregel, and I
also agree with that thinking. In addition, the pregel seems to be
proven by ACM SIGMOD Conf. 2010.

The BSP package is the base of Angrapa. Thus, we first should complete
BSP package. Besides, we should be concerned with two design
considerations caused by large-scale data and shared-nothing
architecture, recently called cloud computing environments. They are
heterogeneity and fault tolerance respectively. In addition, it is
important to design BSP to be general purpose since it will be used
for matrix package and other problems.

After pregel paper is published, we should embrace the techniques
discussed in the pregel paper.

In sum,
 * We should complete BSP package, general purpose as possible.
 * BSP package has to include considerations of both heterogeneity and
fault tolerance.

I need advices.

Best wishes,
--
Hyunsik Choi
Database & Information Systems Group, Korea Univ.