From "Edward J. Yoon" <edw...@udanax.org>
Subject [Apache Hama Official Blog] Interesting Project, Hama-Mrcl (Map/Reduce + CUBLAS)
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 07:02:35 GMT
I just found this project -- http://code.google.com/p/mrcl/

They tried to perform the matrix multiplication using MapReduce and
CUBLAS. To avoid I/O bottlenecks during multiplication processing, a
blocking/tiling algorithm was used based on M/R and, CUDA BLAS library
(CUBLAS) was used for GPU acceleration in local computations. CUBLAS is
a BLAS library ported to CUDA, which enables the use of fast computing
by GPUs without direct operation of the CUDA drivers.

The interesting report is at this research, Pure java is better/faster
when input (a split, or a sub-matrix in distributed system) is small.

So, .. Perhaps it's not fit with distributed system, which is consist
of a lot of nodes. But, I roughly guess that the GPU technology could
be useful for future BSP concept of Apache Hama.

I'm not BSP expert yet, I really love this phrase: "the BSGP program
always has a significantly lower code complexity" from BulkÔÇôSynchronous
GPU Programming.

--
Posted By Edward J. Yoon to Apache Hama Official Blog at 2/21/2010
11:02:00 PM