From Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please review a document about the BSP package
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:50:51 GMT
Hi Sangwon,

I welcome to any debate because intensive arguments generally make our
ideas more robust :)

Anyway, the main objective of BSP package is not for academic. We do
not necessarily need to make a difference from the traditional BSP.
First of all, we aims at making BSP available on Hadoop since now we
do not have any other choice except for MapReduce and BSP can help to
develop other types of applications that is not appropriate to
MapReduce.  In addition, now the traditional BSP does not fully
satisfy the direction (i.e., straggling mechanism and fault tolerance)
that I mentioned in the previous post. Thus, we are trying to adapt
BSP to the characteristics of analytical processing and cloud
computing environments.

Best wishes,
--
Hyunsik Choi
Database & Information Systems Group, Korea Univ.