From Hyunsik Choi <hyunsik.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please review a document about the BSP package
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 02:39:47 GMT
Hi,

HAMA aims at a scientific package on cloud computing environment. As
you know, cloud computing environment is not business or trends
keyword. It is inevitable movement because cloud computing provides
business agility and it is very important to some kinds of companies.
Many companies already are using this environment. Acutually, now our
BSP still is not different to traditional BSP. However, the BSP on
Hadoop is an trial to develop another distributed computing model on
cloud computing environment. In addition, we know that our BSP has to
go which direction.

In cloud computing environment, computing resource is readily
allocated without interference. Thus, cloud computing environment
needs to be based on shared-nothing architecture for easy assigning
independent computing resource connected in network.

In shared-nothing architecture, transactional operations that execute
frequent read and write are not appropriate since it is hard to
achieve requirements for transaction. Consequently, data processing
should be analytical processing (mostly read processing) in this
environment.

In order to develop some design in this environment, we have to
consider some important characteristics of cloud computing and
analytical processing.

i) Analytical processing usually takes several hours or days.

Therefore, we have to consider fault tolerance if we don't want to
restart long time job.

ii) The capabilities of cluster nodes on cloud may not be even.

In other words, their hardware specifications may be different to each
other. In this situation, the processing will be continuous until jobs
on the slowest computer instance are terminated. MR has a mechanism
for this nature.

Above characteristics have to be considered in cloud computing
environment. Now, our BSP is still not good at above characteristic
and is still too simple framework. However, we have some ideas for
above characteristics. Later, we try to achieve above features and
improve further things.

Best regards,
--
Hyunsik Choi
Database & Information Systems Group, Korea Univ.