From "Edward J. Yoon" <edwardy...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Hama Wiki] Update of "GraphPackage" by HyunsikChoi
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2009 07:39:13 GMT
Yes.. It'll show performance improvements.

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Chanwit Kaewkasi <chanwit@gmail.com> wrote:
> To my knowledge, it seems BSP is more suite the model of Hama than M/R
> as Hama is focusing on matrix computation, not data processing.
>
> Chanwit
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:19, Edward J. Yoon <edwardyoon@apache.org> wrote:
>> As we discussed before, we considering to re-factor the packages as below:
>>
>> org.apache.hama.bsp
>> org.apache.hama.mapred
>> org.apache.hama.matrix
>> org.apache.hama.graph
>> org.apache.hama.examples
>>
>> So, I'd like to re-arrange the architecture page and discuss about it
>> before commit them.
>>
>> This is my rough idea.
>>
>> - Our Goal
>> - About BSP and Map/Reduce
>> - Matrix Computing Strategies
>> - Graph Computing Strategies
>> - Example in matrix and graph computation areas
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Edward J. Yoon <edwardyoon@apache.org> wrote:
>>> In distributed system, the matrix and graph computation are both need
>>> a lot of communication between each nodes. IMO, there is no way to
>>> avoid them. Of course, It could be performed by M/R iterations. But it
>>> seems very slow and there's an overhead cost. I think that's why we'd
>>> like to survey and consider the BSP (bulk synchronous parallel) model.
>>>
>>> - We need to explain theoretically about the BSP and How to apply out project.
>>>
>>> And, regarding matrix and graph, they are closely connected. I expect
>>> the synergy between two. However, I think we should clear the
>>> relationship between matrix and graph. and our main goal.
>>>
>>> Any advices are welcome.

framework for analytical processing. It is still an ongoing project. It will employ massive
parallelism on Hadoop. It aims to achieve the scalability for processing tera bytes or peta
bytes graph data. Angrapa will be used in a variety of scientific and industrial areas, such
as data mining, machine learning, information retrieval, bioinformatics, and social networks,
required to process large-scale graph data.

edwardyoon@apache.org
http://blog.udanax.org