From "Sean Owen" <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Taste on Hbase?
Date Mon, 01 Sep 2008 19:32:08 GMT
Yes, this is a sketch of basic user-based collaborative filtering,
using a cosine-measure correlation as a similarity metric? (I think it
needs to divide out by the size of the two vectors?).

The analog in Mahout would be
org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.recommender.GenericUserBasedRecommender,
and org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.similarity.PearsonCorrelationSimilarity

I agree that one could parallelize computation of the user-user
similarity. Indeed I think any scalable recommender is going to have
to do a lot of intense precomputation, via something like Hadoop, and
then relatively little at runtime.