From "Edgar Poce" <edgarp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: j2 page manager status
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:22:36 GMT
Hi,

On 9/20/06, Christophe Lombart <christophe.lombart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Edgar,
>
> Honestly, I have not yet review in all details how the page manager is working.
> So, It is quite difficult to give some strong guidelines (maybe David
> or another J2 commiter can help ?).
>
> Here some ideas :
>
> precondition : are you agree if the Graffito usage is only for storing
> the objects managed by the page manager ?

What do you mean with "only"? I'm not sure if I understand you
correctly. I understand that graffito should provide an implementation
of the page manager interface in order to provide a set of cms
services to manage the pages, folders, links, fragments, etc.

> 1/ Create the J2 object model into graffito (the model managed by of
> the page manager of course).

Most of the page manager component in j2 seems to be implemented by
pojos. Can these objects be reused or should they be reimplemented to
be included as a graffito service?

> 2/ Create a new Graffito service used to manage thoses objects.

I see interfaces for some services under the services package, but I
don't see any interface specifying what a service is and what's the
contract to add a new service. What are the requirements to include a
new service in graffito?.

> 3/ Security  - permissions ?

I see that the page manager depends heavily on the j2 security
component. Should graffito reimplement the security service or it can
depend on the secutiry api to manage the security? In case there's
need to reimplement the j2 security component, could we use the j2
secutiry spi or we should implement all the security api?

> It should be nice if we can plug at runtime some new
> services/applications into Graffito (like Drupal and many other
> CMS/content framework). I introduce this concept because Graffito is
> very monolithic.

I don't see in the api how this service pluggability works. How is it
supposed a new service will be added at runtime?
btw, for now I'm not very interested in the forum, weblog, etc,
services. I'm more interested in the j2 integration to add cms
features to the portal itself and also facilitate adding cms features
to new portles (the content portlet mode).

> By this way, the Graffito users can choose which
> application/service to deploy. I'm not sure that the J2 page manager
> service has a place into our subproject graffito/components which
> contains the core services.
>
> After solving some important questions, I think we can start to code
> something (prototype) and if needed refactor later.

I absolutely agree with you, unfortunately I'm still in a stage where
I'm not sure my questions have sense :(.

> ps : I didn't find time to review your prototype. Sorry for the delay.

don't worry, I have no hurry. My interest in the features I was
talking and prototyped is more related to finding in j2/graffito a
long term infraestructure for future projects, features which will
help me mainly in the versioning of my apps, the documentation, and
the staging inside a single environment.

br,
edgar