From Ruchi Goel <Ruchi.G...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: technologies used in graffito
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:13:00 GMT
Thanks Christophe for quick response. One more question: Who is using
spring framework ? - Jetspeed or Graffito ?
Please see inline for more ....
Christophe Lombart wrote:

> Hi Ruchi,
>

>> 1. Does graffito has its own session management ? I understand it "no"
>> since this is not designed as a standalone webapp.(or can I run it
>> without riding on portal ?)  When it gets deployed as portlets , it uses
>> the session management of  the portal system. Here , it uses the session
>> management of  Jetspeed portal. Kindly confirm my understanding.
>>

> Correct. if it is deployed into J2, it uses the subject provided by
> Jetspeed. We are using JAAS for the permissions and authentication
> aspect. See the class CmsRequestContext & CmsRequestContextManager.
> Those class are used to get reference to the subject. You can see also
> the CmsPermission class to show you how to the permission are defined.
>
> In theory, it should be possible to use Graffito with any kind of
> applications which are using   JAAS.

Our portal users are stored in LDAP and uses its authentication service
. How will that be mapped to JAAS users ?

>> 2. How are portal users  mapped to cms users ? e.g when I deploy
>> graffito war to jetspeed  , the content browser portlet for
>> browsing,editing,creating documents + folders , gets configured for
>> admin while content tree portlet gets configured for anonymous and user.
>> Where are these configurations stored ?
>>

> They are some refactoring to do it in this area. They are not yet map :-)
> The jetspeed security services can be used outside jetspeed (thanks to
> Spring).
> It would be interesting to be more independant. I think it is possible
> to write some Graffito security services with different implementation
> (one for Jetspeed, ...).

You mean to say , Graffito security service can have portal specific
implementation ? If we use only OCM , do I still get it ? I see
SimpleAccessManager and SimpleLoginModule which uses Jackrabit and java
security services. This security is at repository level , I want to also
understand  security at portal level, "who can see which portlets " ?

>> 3. Does it depend on apache's commons logging framework or is there any
>> other framework on top of this ?
>>
> common logging.
>
>> 4. Is there any roadmap to implement workflow service ?
>>

> We have a prototype implemented by my company but this not yet
> commited due to other priorities. Hope to do it september and start a
> proposal.
>
>> 5. Will the JCR plugin be using OCM ?
>

> Yes
>
>> Is it possible to use the
>> existing model and model service to use jcr mapping layer directly and
>> depend on this mapping (persistence layer)  for
>> versioning,security,search. Basically, what I am asking is that can I
>> skip the abstractions of the services which are already part of JSR170
>> implementation . I have tried the following:
>>
>>     * Tried to navigate document creation , which uses Graffito store
>>       for persistence, since jcr mapping is not yet integrated.
>>     * Separated the jcr mapping layer from the other graffito stack,
>>       created my own model and used jcr mapping to persist. This layer
>>       can be directly used for search and versioning.
>>
>> My concern is if I  integrate graffito to my portal and create my own
>> model based on Content/CmsObject ,  do I still have to go through the
>> abstraction of  all the services , even though I am only interested in
>> jcr using jcr mapping.
>

> We plan to move the OCM tools into the Jackrabbit project. You can use
> this OCM tools without the Graffito services. See in trunk/jcr/spring
> to get an idea how to do it with Spring.

The question is if  we want to integrate the entire cms framework , we
will have to use the abstractions  , even though the jsr170  mapping
layer  helps with lots of services.Please correct  me  if  my
understanding is wrong here.

Where is Spring framework used ? I understand that u have ocm 's one
integration with Spring? Does Graffito internally uses it ?
We cannot integrate with any open source which is not  j2ee compliant.

Another question : Where is Velocity used in graffito project ?

Thanks,
Ruchi