From Dan Connelly <dsconne...@adelphia.net>
Subject Nw pre-condition, new solution.
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 17:58:07 GMT
Christophe:

Here is a new pre-condition on my use case.   Thinking of the problem
this way, I have a new working solution.

New pre-condition:   Any object in my domain can give back  its (proper)
containment hierarchy.    This maps fairly directly and generally to an
absolute JCR path, provided that there is an id field in every class of
this hierarchy.    I will assume, as a further pre-condition, that id
fields have been fully mapped.   (But perhaps this works better if beans
could also be marked as ids.)

Function:   I am attempting to insert an object into jcr space under a
given parent.  The parent already exists in jcr space due to the
depth-first execution order.   Therefore, the inserting abs path is
known.    The containment hierarchy fully exists in object space, but is
incomplete and in the process of being built in jcr space.    Every
object being inserted has two abs paths, its containment abs path (from
the new precondition) and its insertion abs path, as given in the
invocation.   These 2 paths may be identical.

Here is the new logic for my new solution.

If the two abs paths are the same (by value) and if the object already
exists on that abs path in jcr space, then there is nothing to do.
Done.   (Note:  The inserted object and found object do *not* need to be
identical.)

If the two abs paths are the same (by value) but there is no object in
jcr space for this abs path , merely insert normally on the (insertion)
abs path.  The parent already exists on the insertion path due to the
depth-first insertion ordering.     Done.

In the case where the two abs paths are different (by value), then look
first for the node on the containment abs path in jcr space.   If
anything exists there, then insert a Reference object to that node at
the *invoked* insertion abs path.   Done.

If the is not node (yet) at the containment abs path in jcr space, I
look for its containing parent node on the containment abs path in jcr
space.    If that exists, insert the current object under the
containment parent and *also* insert a Reference to the node just
inserted on the invoked insertion abs path.   If the containment parent
is not in jcr space, recurse up the containment path until  an ancestor
(or root) is found in jcr space.   Then I unwind the recursion,
inserting all the containment ancestors.   Finally,  insert the object
itself under its containment parent and *also* insert a Reference to the
node just inserted on the invoked insertion abs path.

I can build this solution with a MyBeanConverterImpl class which will
compute the containment abs path internally using the standard
BeanConverter interface.

This was not my preferred solution.    I wanted to offer a completely
general solution with classes ReferencingBeanConverterImpl and
ContainedBeanConverterImpl, both implementing the BeanConverter
interface.    Then the ocm mapping file would then provide the
containment hierarchy (well enough).   This solution would have avoided
the pre-condition I am using here that a unique containment hierarchy is
encoded in the object model.     However, I do not want to take the time
right now to find a query (in place of the containment path query) which
would fit enough other use cases.    I may come back to that solution at
another time and offer it back to the Graffito team.

       -- Dan