From "Christophe Lombart" <christophe.lomb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: technologies used in graffito
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 12:19:58 GMT
Hi Ruchi,

> 1. Does graffito has its own session management ? I understand it "no"
> since this is not designed as a standalone webapp.(or can I run it
> without riding on portal ?)  When it gets deployed as portlets , it uses
> the session management of  the portal system. Here , it uses the session
> management of  Jetspeed portal. Kindly confirm my understanding.

Correct. if it is deployed into J2, it uses the subject provided by
Jetspeed. We are using JAAS for the permissions and authentication
aspect. See the class CmsRequestContext & CmsRequestContextManager.
Those class are used to get reference to the subject. You can see also
the CmsPermission class to show you how to the permission are defined.

In theory, it should be possible to use Graffito with any kind of
applications which are using   JAAS.

> 2. How are portal users  mapped to cms users ? e.g when I deploy
> graffito war to jetspeed  , the content browser portlet for
> browsing,editing,creating documents + folders , gets configured for
> admin while content tree portlet gets configured for anonymous and user.
> Where are these configurations stored ?

They are some refactoring to do it in this area. They are not yet map :-)
The jetspeed security services can be used outside jetspeed (thanks to Spring).
It would be interesting to be more independant. I think it is possible
to write some Graffito security services with different implementation
(one for Jetspeed, ...).

> 3. Does it depend on apache's commons logging framework or is there any
> other framework on top of this ?

common logging.

> 4. Is there any roadmap to implement workflow service ?

We have a prototype implemented by my company but this not yet
commited due to other priorities. Hope to do it september and start a
proposal.

> 5. Will the JCR plugin be using OCM ?

Yes

> Is it possible to use the
> existing model and model service to use jcr mapping layer directly and
> depend on this mapping (persistence layer)  for
> versioning,security,search. Basically, what I am asking is that can I
> skip the abstractions of the services which are already part of JSR170
> implementation . I have tried the following:
>
>     * Tried to navigate document creation , which uses Graffito store
>       for persistence, since jcr mapping is not yet integrated.
>     * Separated the jcr mapping layer from the other graffito stack,
>       created my own model and used jcr mapping to persist. This layer
>       can be directly used for search and versioning.
>
> My concern is if I  integrate graffito to my portal and create my own
> model based on Content/CmsObject ,  do I still have to go through the
> abstraction of  all the services , even though I am only interested in
> jcr using jcr mapping.

We plan to move the OCM tools into the Jackrabbit project. You can use
this OCM tools without the Graffito services. See in trunk/jcr/spring
to get an idea how to do it with Spring.

> 6. The project is under incubation. Where should i look for license
> details ?

This is the classical  Apache licence.

Best regards,

Christophe