From "Alexandru Popescu" <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graffito release plans?
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:31:30 GMT
> Hi,
>
> On 7/13/06, Christophe Lombart <christophe.lombart@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As you can see,  our Spring support is based on the JCR module.
>
> Yep. How much of the subproject is Graffito-specific? Could some of
> the functionality be pushed back to Spring?

As far as I know the support for Spring is somehow duplicated from
Spring modules project.
JCR is not yet so used so that Spring will integrate JCR support in
their sourcecode. The same applies to JCR support offered by
Springmodules.

> > What do you suggest ? Create a new "incubator" project ?
>
> One option could be to move the generic JCR parts to a Jackrabbit
> subproject so Graffito could better focus on the higher level
> components. Another would be to push the extra functionality back to
> Spring JCR or a similar project and use that directly in the core
> Graffito components.
>
> I don't think it makes sense to start another incubating project on a
> relatively small component. And I also don't want to appear as wanting
> to "steal" the code to Jackrabbit, moving it to Jackrabbit would only
> make sense if the people working on the code would consider Jackrabbit
> a good environment for the subproject and would want to continue
> development within Jackrabbit.

The only real association between JCR mapping and Jackrabbit would be
that Jackrabbit represents for the moment the only complete OSS
implementation of JSR170.
However, I agree that maybe a subproject in Jackrabbit would bring
more visibility to the project, so probably it is a good idea.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.