From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graffito forwarding..
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:36:35 GMT
Hi,

On 7/13/06, Raphaƫl Luta <raphael@apache.org> wrote:
> Right now, I'd list project usability as *the* major issue: it takes way too
> much effort to the casual user/developer just to have a look at Graffito.

Agreed. My notes:

* I wanted to give Graffito a run
* I went to the web site and looked for a download link; none
* I followed the link to "Build all Graffito subprojects" to build from sources
* Got the sources from svn
* Why do I need to setup a test database to build the sources?
* Presumably for unit tests, create one with hsql as instructed: maven
start.test.server
* Got a failure due to a missing dependency
* Installed MySQL and set up a test database as only a MySQL example was given
* Was able to build and test most of the components
* What do I do now?
* Found a page "Deploy Graffito into Jetspeed 2"
* OK, downloaded and installed Jetspeed 2, no problem
* Already built Graffito, but need to set some more build properties
* Some tweaking and got "maven allDeploy" working
* Started Tomcat from the Jetspeed installation
* Logged in as instructed
* What do I do now?
* Played around on my own

Suggestions:

* Make a release that people can start playing with without building sources
* Use an embedded database (hsql) for unit tests by default, and set
it up automatically
* Add goals like "maven demo.start" and "maven demo.stop" that build
the required components, set up a Jetspeed installation with an
embedded database, deploy the Graffito components, and start and stop
the demo installation as requested
* Add documentation on the various components

Of course I'm happy to help make this happen. :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting