From "Christophe Lombart" <christophe.lomb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graffito forwarding..
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:53:39 GMT

> Hi,
>
> On 7/13/06, Raphaƫl Luta <raphael@apache.org> wrote:
> > Right now, I'd list project usability as *the* major issue: it takes way
> too
> > much effort to the casual user/developer just to have a look at
> Graffito.
>
> Agreed. My notes:
>
> * I wanted to give Graffito a run
> * I went to the web site and looked for a download link; none

Normal because there is not yet a release :-)

* I followed the link to "Build all Graffito subprojects" to build from
> sources
> * Got the sources from svn
> * Why do I need to setup a test database to build the sources?

Building the source implies running the unit tests. There is not yet a JCR
Graffito store. So, you need a specific DB schema to exexute the unit tests

* Presumably for unit tests, create one with hsql as instructed: maven
> start.test.server

You have to review the DB config in your build.properties. Here is a
build.properties sample file :
http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/build.properties.txt
the page http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/build.html contains the
different possible values.

Anyway, I'm agree to make a default HSQL setting. By this way, it is not
necessary to create a custom build.properties.
This will help developers who just want evaluate Graffito.

* Got a failure due to a missing dependency

Which one ?

* Installed MySQL and set up a test database as only a MySQL example was
> given
> * Was able to build and test most of the components
> * What do I do now?
> * Found a page "Deploy Graffito into Jetspeed 2"
> * OK, downloaded and installed Jetspeed 2, no problem
> * Already built Graffito, but need to set some more build properties
> * Some tweaking and got "maven allDeploy" working
> * Started Tomcat from the Jetspeed installation
> * Logged in as instructed
> * What do I do now?
> * Played around on my own
>
> Suggestions:
>
> * Make a release that people can start playing with without building
> sources

+1
I'm reviewing the page http://incubator.apache.org/graffito/roadmap.html. We
can make the release 1.0-a1-dev because all are there.

* Use an embedded database (hsql) for unit tests by default, and set
> it up automatically

+1

* Add goals like "maven demo.start" and "maven demo.stop" that build
> the required components, set up a Jetspeed installation with an
> embedded database, deploy the Graffito components, and start and stop
> the demo installation as requested

+1

* Add documentation on the various components

> Of course I'm happy to help make this happen. :-)

Thanks for your help.

--
Best regards,

Christophe