From Oliver Kiessler <oliver.kiess...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JCR Mapping
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:13:06 GMT
> I sent my position in a mail 2 days ago - here is the most important
> part from this mail :
>
> Let me resume why I'm agains tools like XmlBeans, JAXB, ... and
> XML schema :
> * Thoses tools are generating java classes and sometime it is
> difficult to change the class object structure. We will have a few
> number of java classes to read the config file. So write by hand
> thoses classes is not a big deal. Futhermore, using a pre-processing
> in order to just read a simple config file is a little bit heavy - no
> :-) ?
> * The mapping file should be very simple - I hope it will be otherwise
> the framework will not be used :-). So, a simple DTD is sufficiant.
> Xml schema becomes interesting for more complex grammar. See
> Jackrabbit, Hibernante, OJB, ... all these frameworks are using very
> simple DTD (no XML schema).
> * We need to read the mapping file and cache it in memory (in an
> object graph). So, Digester is (for me) one of the best tools to do
> it. Others framework become interesting when your update the xml file
> content.
> * See http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Digester/WhyUseDigester.
>
> Any comments ?

I have read it and I basically don't disagree (I said we either need a
dtd, xml schema or documentation). ;) But Sandro has a different
standpoint (he wants XML Schema).

> I have a small example to commit. This one can help to see how
> digester and beanutil can work together. Let me know if you want to
> see the code.

I have worked with digester and beanutils before, so I know how it can
be done. But I am would like to see the code anyways if possible.

I am just saying we are discussing for days now over the XML schema
issue without any progress so far.

The votes for using XML Schema so far.
+1 sandro
-1 christophe
0 oliver

Does there have to be a majority or an unanimous decision (all votes +1)?

regards,
oliver