From Randy Watler <wat...@wispertel.net>
Subject Re: Graffito build for Jetspeed-2 M4-SNAPSHOT
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:39:54 GMT
Christophe:

Christophe Lombart wrote:

>2005/8/25, Randy Watler <watler@wispertel.net>:
>

>>Raj,
>>
>>I am in the middle of this at the moment... it is not possible out of
>>the box AFAICT. Various things have changed in J2, so it is not just a
>>configuration change.
>>

>Correct !
>

>>I am integrating Graffito into J2, so this will be much easier in the
>>future :-)... http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-350
>>
>>Perhaps some graffito dev team member is maintaining a port...
>>

>Of course, we plan to do it.

I am in the middle of porting the Graffito svn trunk to M4-SNAPSHOT.
Security modifications are probably the buggest issues, but there are
also test issues involving Spring.

> What about J2 status ? is it the good
>time to do it now or it is better to wait upcoming commits & new
>features ?

I can only speculate, but have at it!

>Graffito has some goals to deploy its own components, assembly scripts
>& components into J2.  I think it should be possible to modify them
>but I'm not yet check the lasted J2 modifications. If you don't want
>to affect the J2 stabitlity, we can create a new Graffito subproject
>to build the new page manager implementation.

I think the plan is something like this: I am going to continue to hack
away here for a bit until I get something running to some degree. Then,
I'll give you a list of things I have had to do to get it going...
hopefully this is just a set of port to M4 diffs. We can then decide how
best to proceed. I was thinking that we'd add Graffito to the J2 build
and keep the PageManager component over there to limit your J2
exposure/entanglements. Just my initial thoughts so far...

>Another questions : what kind of the content repository do you want  ?
>DB ? JCR  ?
>Currently, we have an OJB based DB and we are working on an JCR
>content store implementation (based on Jackrabbit). DB is stable but
>required some schema modification in order to support PSML objects.
>The JCR implementation will be more flexible and will supoprt any kind
>of CMS objects but it is still under dev.

We want to store PSML as plain old XML text documents in a DB for
starters, but JCR is an option we'd like to provide. We want to be able
to use standard multi-locale text content browsers and have the ability
to upload/download the file for editing natively, so storing the PSML as
objects is probably not what we want... assuming I am thinking about
this right.

I'll be able to comment in much more detail later, but the goal is
indeed to leverage Graffito to deliver an integrated CMS into the J2
portal, (as you have done already), and allow PSML and/or other J2
specific content files to be managed in a single repository visible from
clustered J2 servers.

No doubt this conversation will continue...,

Randy