From Raphaël Luta <raph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2 new commiters and new subproject proposal
Date Thu, 12 May 2005 09:23:34 GMT
Christophe Lombart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I  would like to nomminate 2 new commiters for the Graffito project :
> Sandro Boehme  and Oliver Kiessler.
> They wants to start with us an Object-JCR mapping tools which will be
> a great benefit for the Graffito project and also for other ASF
> projects (see the proposal below).
> The main goal of this tools is to map any kind of pojo object  (eg.
> news, articles, forums, pages, folders, ...) into a JCR compliant
> repository.
> If this tools is well designed, it should be possible to reuse a lot
> of code for supporting other technologies (Webdav via the Slide API,
> propriatary cms API, ...) .
> By this way, we have more flexiblities to plug any kind of content
> server with a strong object design.
> In the first time, this tools can be an independant Graffito
> subproject and later (depending on the community size), this project
> could be hosted in another ASF area.
> Some jackrabbit committers are interesting by this tools and we can
> expect more interaction between both projects.
>
> So, can you make your vote ?
> * 2 new committers : Sandro & Oliver (+1 for myself)
> * Start this new mapping toos in Graffito and see later if this
> mapping tools can move somewhere else (+ 1 for myself).

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you propose:
if oliver and sandro are willing to work on *Graffito* and focus on
building a JCR mapping so that Graffito can leverage JCR repositories,
then I'm definitely +1 to have them as committers on Graffito.

However, the goal of the work at hand should be to improve Graffito
while staying in scope with the charter of the project.
If the JCR mapping can be easily reused by other projects then it's
a significant bonus but IMO should not be the primary focus.
In that sense, I believe your second vote is premature: let's focus
on the work at hand and build a nice community before even thinking
of spinning out code bits elsewhere.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/