From Stéphane Croisier <scroisi...@jahia.com>
Subject Re: Why not using Lenya
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:53:51 GMT
At 23:47 17/03/2005, Michael Wechner wrote:
>>Concerning the JCR support, we want to maximize the abstraction on the
>>repository. JCR is certainly a very nice spec but it is too low level
>>API. I can't image to use the JCR object model (Node, Item &
>>Property)  in some portlets, jsp pages, ... I prefer to use CMS objects
>>like Folder, Forum, Thread, News, Article, ...
>
>you mean similar to Zope?

... and jumping on this idea, yes, I personally think it would great to
have some kind of shared Visual Content Explorer (à la CRX
-  http://jsr170tools.day.com/crx/login.jsp) + Visual JCR170 Admin Center
initiative on top of Jackrabbit. Quite similar to the Zope Content
Management Framework.

Each CMS (including Jahia ;-) ) will need something like that on top of
Jackrabbit. For example creating definitions on top of Jackrabbit is
quite(too) complex for a CMS user/integrator and you need some kind of
abstract management layer in-between. So we have the choice to try to
centralize these "back-end" tools (in opposite to the front-end CMS views,
navigations, edition mechanisms, etc.. which are of course specifc to each
CMS/Portal system) or to each independently reinvent the wheel...

Zope has a centralized Core system (= Jackrabbit), a shared Content
Management Framework (= Apache ???) and several "finished" CMS products
such as Plone, Icoya, Silva,...(= Lenya, Graffito, Magnolia, Jahia,...).
Why not doing the same and taking the JSR170 opportunity to do in Java what
Zope already did in Python?

>>Anyway, it is a common question for the ASF. Why Trapestry, Struts,
>>Turbine, Cocoon. Is it not the same stuff to make web apps  :-) ?
>
>Well, I think in most cases there is not just one way of doing things and
>Apache allows
>various ways and I think this is good. It might be seen as a waste of
>resources, but
>I think it's more a question of finding the right balance.

Yes but this also creates much confusion for end-users (cf. the recent
OSCOM thread:
). Then is the ASF only a Java SourceForge which host all java based
initatives. I do not think so. There are not 10 different Apache httpd
projects. Apache is about providing good, well maintained back-end
librarires each of them powered by a strong community. So there are already
Slide, Lenya, Jackrabbit and now Graffito... Jackrabbit still has issues
gathering a community large enough to exit the incubator status. Do you
think Graffito has then a real chance? So perhaps time to try to
consolidate a bit at least for the back-end tools, no?

Cheers,
Stéphane

- -- --- -----=[ scroisier2 at jahia dot com ]=---- --- -- -
www.jahia.org : A Collaborative Source CMS and Portal Server