From Michael Aemisegger <develo...@pagnolia.ch>
Subject Re: Why not using Magnolia
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:48:40 GMT
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Michael Aemisegger wrote:
>
>> Dear list
>>
>> I hope you don't mind bothering you with this question again. I've
>> read the thread about Lenya and haven't found arguments that would
>> counteract Magnolia. Why not using Magnolia?
>
> I don't think so this thread was about why using which CMS, but rather
> why do
> various such projects within Apache exist.

Michi, you're right. My post was not directed against Lenya and maybe I do
underestimate apache community bonds. Sorry, if I tiptoed on anybodies feet.
My post was not meant to be a follow-up to your post, that's why I opened a new
technical thread. Still, I refered to the Lenya thread because I could not see
any technical counter arguments. My mail was just in my mind for a few weeks
now, and I felt now was the right moment to post it.

>> I can't tell for sure whether the licenses of Apache and Magnolia can
>> go together.
>

> AFAIK Magnolia uses LGPL and this might not work out to all ends in the
> combination with the Apache license.
>
> Also AFAIK Obinary (who started Magnolia in the first place and I guess
> still owns the copyright) is creating new software which seems to be
> based on so-called collaborative

like Jahia?

> source licenses which are not OSI certified and can cause conflicts.

Things are here to be changed.

> I can understand why "companies" are heading into this direction, but I
> wouldn't rely
> on such software and "communities", because of specific lock-ins.

agreed.

>> Magnolia could be the CMS part for administering content, Jetspeed
>> could be the presentation and business logic part and Graffito would
>> enrich those two with ready to use JSR-168 compliant mini applications.
>
> I don't this is abour technical issues, but about communities and licenses.

You might be right. Please note, that this is another thread.

--
Cheers,
Michael