From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: Why not using Lenya
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:19:18 GMT
LOMBART Christophe wrote:

>Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>I guess Lenya has similar goals, but uses a different approach
>>

>Can you explain ?  I'm really interesting to get  more info on Leyna.

The idea of Lenya is to offer a CM Framework by enhancing Cocoon by CM
componets, but also a CMS "nearly out of the box" by providing sample
publications/publets and an according framework for the publets, whereas
normally only Layout, Doctypes and Workflows might need some customization.

For instance Lenya could be used as DMS by using the DMS-publet, which
would be based on Lenya framework components.

>>>Concerning the JCR support, we want to maximize the abstraction on the repository.
JCR is certainly a very nice spec but it is too low level API. I can't image to use the JCR
object model (Node, Item & Property)  in some portlets, jsp pages, ... I prefer to use
CMS objects like Folder, Forum, Thread, News, Article, ...

>>you mean similar to Zope?
>>

>No Zope plateform  is too complex. :-)
>We like the code in the application domain like this
>
>try
>{
>    Article article = new Article();
>    article.set...;
>
>   ConcentModelService.addDocument(Article);
>}
>catch ( ...)
>Even if it is a "propriatary" API it is so simple.

I guess this what we would call within Lenya the publication/publet API.

> Using the JCR API in our application domain and eventually build some taglib based on
JCR can be difficult to maintain and can gives some issue to migrate to another kind of content
technology, ...

>>For the moment Lenya is integrating Jackrabbit for documents, but yes it would make
>>sense to discuss it and you might want to ask this on the Jackrabbit mailing list
;-)

>Oliver Kiessler posted this kind of question. The Jackrabbit committers was not interested
by the discussion.
>I think it is not the the goal of JackRabbit. It nice to see the JackRabbit team focusing
only on the JCR spec.

and it probably makes sense ;-)

>>>Anyway, it is a common question for the ASF. Why Trapestry, Struts, Turbine, Cocoon.
Is it not the same stuff to make web apps  :-) ?

>>Well, I think in most cases there is not just one way of doing things and Apache allows
>>various ways and I think this is good. It might be seen as a waste of resources, but
>>I think it's more a question of finding the right balance.
>>

>Agree.
>Graffito is a place to find more and more CMS/DM components, tools and later applications.
It is not mandatory to use all of them.
>Eg. This is not mandatory to use The Graffito portlets in your application.  You have
the freedom to use only what you need.

the same is true for Lenya ;-)

I think there is plenty of space for co-existence and evolution will
takes its course.

All the best

Michi

--