From David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
Subject Re: absence
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2005 21:50:49 GMT
LOMBART Christophe wrote:
> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>

>>Team,
>>
>>Im sorry for my unexcused absence.
>>Been finishing off a book for Manning (Portlets in Action) and the last 10 days have
been basically write, eat, write, write, sleep, write ...
>>Also had a project deadline mixed in there
>

> No problem ! When your book will be available ?

Not sure. The final manuscript went out last week.
This is my first book with a real publisher, no idea how long it takes
to go from manuscript --> printed book on the shelf at your local
bookstore. Will let you know, they usually become available at Amazon a
few weeks early.

> I think it follows our architecture. Maybe we can try to move your code into the persistence
layer. The persistence layer is just there to give more abstraction on the content repo.
> I like the idea to split between a fs and a database.  I'm also interesting to have more
normalization on the uri.
> is it  possible to send me your code snapshot in order to check if we can integrate it
 into the current Graffito repo ? I'm interesting to help you to consolidate our works.

i put the code here:
http://64.105.95.101/jetspeed-dev/cms.zip

Lets see how we can refactor it and possibly prepare it for committing
to graffito

Should have a demo available online soon....

>>>From it, I developed 3 portlets:
>>
>>1. CMS Tree Browser
>>2. CMS Document Viewer
>>3. CMS Search Portlet
>>
>>I need to decouple these from my specific implementation
>>The coupling is very very low, they look for specific properties from document.getProperty
such as hitrate on a search.
>>Hope to contribute soon
>>
>>Also, saw that Christophe is writing similar portlets with Velocity
>>I really prefer Velocity, so thats great
>>My portlets used JSP because the tree view browser was integral, and I was working
with Jeremy and he wrote the Jetspeed-2 tree browser so we went with that. Actuallly it looks
very nice, and now supports lazy loading which i think is essential for browsing over large
CMSs

> Is it possible to port this treeview into the velocity world ?

Its a JSP taglib. Of course it would be possible.
I often get requests to port the Browser (DatabaseBrowser) in Jetspeed
and Jetspeed-2 from Velocity to JSP. This is the first in the other
direction.

When I get the demo online you can see it in action.

> The more I'm using Velocity, the more I like it. It is so simple compare to jsp,jstl,jsf
technologies.
> As you will see, my browser provides another kind of navigation based on some simple
href like  'you are here : home>myfolder>anotherfolder>mydoc.
> I think both kind of navigation are interesting.

I agree

>     I think it is interesing to have all thoses features in one single portlet but it
provides a very large process action method.  That's why I'm refactoring to code to use some
PortletActions. I will introduce this small feature next week and If needed send the code
to the J2 team (not yet commited).

Take a look at the Bridges Framework project under the Jetpeed-2 cvs.
It already has portlet actions features.
Lets try to find a common ground on these efforts

>    I also build a Tab component for the velocity template based portlets. I plan to submit
the code to the J2 team when it will be used in the Graffito portlets.

Great

> Plan to do :
>     *  Add the GraffitoNews class in the Graffito model and RSS support.
>     * Add the permission management in the Browser portlet
>     * More integration with J2 :
>         *  Graffito implementation for the page manager. I will need help for this point.
>          * Define a Graffito Valve.
>     * Finalise the search service with a event handler service.
>     * Build a server management portlet (add, delete, update server references and plugin).
>     * Webdav support
>     * JCR Support : I think we have to discuss on that topic ASAP.
>      * Workflow.
>
> humm,  we will be busy for a couple of month :-)

We should create a status page on our website so that we can update our
status instead of tracking it on email

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software