From "LOMBART Christophe" <Christophe.LOMB...@sword-technologies.com>
Subject RE: Why not using Lenya
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:15:01 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From:	St├ęphane Croisier [mailto:scroisier2@jahia.com]
Sent:	Fri 3/18/2005 10:53 AM
To:	graffito-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject:	Re: Why not using Lenya

>Each CMS (including Jahia ;-) ) will need something like that on top of
>Jackrabbit. For example creating definitions on top of Jackrabbit is
>quite(too) complex for a CMS user/integrator and you need some kind of
>abstract management layer in-between. So we have the choice to try to
>centralize these "back-end" tools (in opposite to the front-end CMS views,
>navigations, edition mechanisms, etc.. which are of course specifc to each
>CMS/Portal system) or to each independently reinvent the wheel...

>Zope has a centralized Core system (= Jackrabbit), a shared Content
>Management Framework (= Apache ???) and several "finished" CMS products
>such as Plone, Icoya, Silva,...(= Lenya, Graffito, Magnolia, Jahia,...).
>Why not doing the same and taking the JSR170 opportunity to do in Java what
>Zope already did in Python?

Is the JCR Spec is mature enough for doing that ? Who will follow the JCR spec ? it is too
early to gives an anwser to those questions. It dangerous to base everything on JCR.

Graffito is not a finished CMS product. It can be use like this but this is not mandatory.It
is really a component/framework based solution.

If I understand your point of view, Graffito can be the shared management framework and we
will see later if this kind of initiative it interesting for the Java/open source community.

That's the same for Jetspeed 2, almost all Jetspeed services can be running outside j2. Eg.
: I can use the J2 security stuff with Graffito outside J2.

Christophe